Katoomba North Public School

Small school, endless possibilities

Telephone02 4782 2743


About our school

Katoomba North Public School is situated in the bushland setting of the Blue Mountains.

We provide equity programs for all students to achieve their maximum performance both academically and socially. Our professional commitment to public education can be seen by the many positive reports which we have seen in the local paper and the high level of participation by parents and volunteers in enhancing the many school programs.


History of the School

Please also access the attached file which includes lots of information and photographs. School History Book (PDF 7755 KB)

Katoomba North Public School was established in 1955.

The 94 children enrolled at the School in that year were housed at Katoomba Public School (now a T.A.F.E. College in Parke Street) for the infant children, while the primary children were first located at the Cubs Hall, Russell Hawke Park, and then at the Drill Hall in Orient Street. Mr Les Hill, the School's first Principal & his staff had a difficult task in establishing a school without permanent buildings and in separate locations.

The P & C Association was formed in February, 1955; the first P&C office bearers were Mr. R. Colless (President), Mrs. N. Ellis (Secretary) and Mrs. D. Walters (Treasurer).  The first item purchased by the P&C for the School was a Fordigraph Spirit Duplicator.  The generous support for the School by the P&C has continued unabated over the years and currently the P&C raises funds to purchase books and equipment for the School.

During 1955 work proceeded on the new school buildings at the present school site and at the beginning of 1956 the children and teachers moved into the wooden buildings adjacent to Mistral Street.  The new buildings were officially opened on 5th May, 1956 by Mr. J. H. Robson, M.L.A. for Hartley in conjunction with the first P&C Fete.

Enrolments at the School remained fairly steady during the first five years and then proceeded to grow gradually until 1981 when numbers were sufficient for the school to have a non-teaching Principal.

With the growth in enrolments came new buildings to accommodate the children.  A new brick Kindergarten room was officially opened on 16th November, 1968 by Mr. H.G. Coates, M.L.A. for the Blue Mountains. In October, 1980 the new Infants building and the Administration building were officially opened by the M.L.A. for the Blue Mountains, Mr. R. J. Clough.  Other improvements during this period included the brick veneering and extensions of the primary building and the erection of a new toilet block. 

In more recent times demountable classrooms and library have been supplied to meet growing accommodation needs.  In 1993 a communal hall and canteen complex was constructed.

Ground improvements have included the creation of a number of gardens, a new car park, a sports court and a football/cricket ground. Our new library was officially opened by Mr. Bob Debus on May 18th, 2004.

In 2009, the School received security fencing and in 2010 we received new classrooms, major refurbishments of existing classrooms and a COLA (Covered Outdoor Learning Area) under the Federal Governments BER (Building the Education Revolution) Program.